Monday 12 May 2014

Gravity (in the dark)

I don't know if you've seen the film Gravity (or been into space yourself) but there's an amazing bit in the film when the astronauts lose contact with mission control for a period of time. This is possibly due to being on the wrong side of the earth or something. Regardless of the silence the astronauts talk away as if someone is listening, as a record of events, and maybe as a means to stay focused. So that's what I'm doing. Yes, it's all gone quiet. Dan said it would.

But he's out there somewhere in the wilderness, not quite outer space, but somewhere pretty remote. And he's not alone.  I assume Dan finished today, I assume the tracker ran out of juice. I assume we'll see that reassuring little No 1 flag pop up somewhere near Kinloch Hourn in the morning. I bet you can't wait?

The great news is that after yesterday's plea it seems we have some decent support for Dan on Cuillin.  Matt Reedy has made himself available for Thursday if Dan is on schedule (Matt and Jane Reedy were with Dan and Bilbo last time he did the ridge - it was Matt's birthday treat!). If necessary John Fleetwood might be able to make it north on Friday to Skye if Dan is running behind. Either way we know he'll be well looked after.

Tomorrow Sue and Phil Clark head north to take over as support crew in the motorhome. I'm assuming Aled is heading home and maybe Graham at some point soon. This is especially poignant as the Clarks were part of the team that supported Hugh some years ago now when he completed the trip. They even got their names in his book. In many ways that's the whole reason I'm busy writing this blog, to guarantee a name check, and even a payment for author's rights when they want to use sections of my eloquent prose to replace Dan's own incoherent ramblings. We'll see.

Simon Stainer and Chris Lumb head north on Thursday as well, let's hope they can find him. Houston, over and out.

2 comments:

  1. "I ran and ran and ran every day, and I acquired this sense of determination, this sense of spirit that I would never, never give up, no matter what else happened." ~ Wilma Rudolph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan's tracker has 81% plenty left - its just out of range.. I'm sure when he sticks his head up in the morning it will pop back online. No worries James

    ReplyDelete